5 Basic Terms +9 ways To Use Essential Oils
There are certain words and phrases which every practitioner of aromatherapy has to know. To effectively use essential oils for their wide range of health benefits, it makes sense that you need to understand the terminology used.
The 5 words and phrases listed below can be considered “essential” essential oils and aromatherapy terminology.
1.Carrier Oil – This can be defined as any oil which is used to blend or mix with essential oil. Essential oils are extremely powerful, even in a very tiny quantity. Carrier oils will usually have little to no odor and no color. They are used to “stretch” essential oils so that you receive the maximum health benefits, without skin irritations and other problems which sometimes arise from using an undiluted version.
2. Basic 10 Oils Kit – While they are more than 90 essential oils, a Basic 10 Oils Kit can be used to treat a wide variety of purposes. If you want to start with the basics, lavender, tea tree, peppermint, chamomile, eucalyptus, geranium, rosemary, ylang-ylang, lemon and ginger oils will go a long way for most aromatherapy and essential oils applications. The contents of a Basic 10 Oils Kit may vary depending on the individual user.
3. Diffuser – Essential oils can be applied directly to your skin. In some cases, they are also ingested to produce a health benefit. Frequently, however, they are combined with water or carrier oil and placed in a diffuser. There are dozens of different types of diffusers available. They all do the same thing. They spray essential oils into the air in a mist form, effectively treating the atmosphere of an entire room with aromatherapeutic benefits.
4. Aromatherapy – Essential oils can be used in some ways, as we just discussed. However, aromatherapy is the most common essential oils application. This practice can be defined as using plant materials and compounds, natural substances, and oils, as well as essential oils for an aromatic treatment of some mental or physical health condition. This is based on the fact that specific aromas can effectively treat, heal and prevent a long list of mental and physical health problems.
5. Infusion – This is the most common method for extracting essential oils from plants. A plant is soaked in vegetable oil or water. The essential oil chemically affects the water or vegetable oil, giving it the healing properties it possesses. This is a very natural and unobtrusive way of extracting essential oils from plants.
This is nothing more than a basic essential oils list of terminology. With dozens of essential oils, hundreds of health applications and tens of thousands of aromatherapy products, a complete glossary of essential oil terms is needed for an inclusive understanding of this therapeutic practice.
7 Ways To Use Essential Oils
The basis of aromatherapy is in its utilization of naturally gathered essential oils. These oils are commonly extracted from plant material and additional compounds. The flower based oils are commonly for powerfully aromatic users while the early sources of oils are principally utilized for medicinal purposes. These oils are chiefly extracted from flowers or delicate plant tissues which are already known for their various properties.
Occasionally divided into 3 distinctive areas of uses, aromatherapy has proven an effective resolution to a lot of problems. Aerial diffusion falls in the class for environmental fragrance or disinfection.
Direct inhalation is promoted to arrest assorted respiratory problems like respiratory disinfection, congestion, the tautness in the chest cavity and a lot of others.
Topical applications are chiefly for relaxing purposes like massages, baths, compresses and therapeutic skincare treatments.
Aromatherapy may have a positive effect on the limbic system through the olfactory system. It has likewise been known to have direct pharmacological effects. There have been studies done to prove the connection between the direct effects of use between aromatherapy coupled with other scientific techniques, but to date, no absolute data has been forthcoming.
There are so many easy and beautiful ways to use essential oils, and I will try to list some of the most popular ones for you to try on your aromatherapy journey:
Here is my favorite, mixing Essential Oils with Massage Oil: Massages are always relaxing and offer you numerous health benefits by helping you reduce stress. However, when you mix essential oils with massage oil, you will experience even more benefits. Massages with essential oils will help enhance your immune system, relax your nervous system, treat headaches and migraines, and offer pain relief.
2. Inhalation Methods: There are different ways to inhale essential oils. You can inhale directly from your palm, from the bottle, place a few drops on your pillow and inhale deeply before you fall asleep. You can also place a few drops on a tissue or handkerchief and inhale, take it with you in your purse or pocket. Inhalation will not only help improve respiratory function, but it will also help you relax and improve your mood.
3. Steam Inhalation: Steam inhalation is a really simple way to use aromatherapy. I usually place 3 to 7 drops of essential oil into boiling water, cover my head with a towel, close my eyes, and breathe through the nose. I use steam inhalation to help enhance my respiratory function.
You can use steam inhalation to directly impact your respiratory system, clear nasal passages, and get the therapeutic effects of essential oils into your lungs. This is a great method to prevent respiratory infections!
4. Diffuser Inhalation: Diffusers are special machines that diffuse essential oils into the air for inhalation, there are different models available, and each uses a specific delivery method. Using diffusers will help improve your energy levels, increase alertness, improve your mood, boost sleep quality, and fill your home, office, or car with healing air-freshening aromas.
Spreading an essential oil throughout a room is known as diffusion. Diffusers range from just putting a few drops of oil on a tissue, to electrical devices that spread more oil over a wider area.
I will write a detailed blog post about diffusers and will also present some product recommendations based on what diffusers I have tried and use now.
Clear Mind Blend recipe:
- 10 drops rose essential oil
- 8 drops bergamot essential oil
- 8 drops of orange essential oil Directions:
Place 8-12 drops in your diffuser with some water and plugin. Let the aroma fill the air and breathe in the wellness and healing.
If you would like to apply directly to your skin, make sure you mix with a carrier oil such as sweet almond oil. Mix 3 drops essentials with 6 drop carrier oil and spread across your forehead.
5. Therapeutic steam /Add To Showers: Plug your drain, and add a few drops of oil to the floor of your shower and create therapeutic steam that will envelop your whole body.
6. Facial Creams And Lotions: If you want to rejuvenate your skin, you can merely buy unscented body lotions and facial creams and mix them with essential oils. Mixing them will improve your skin tone, slow down the aging of the skin, reduce the visibility of scars, increase local circulation, and encourage hydration of the skin.
DIY Face Serum with Essential Oils for Sensitive Skin: 60ml glass bottle:
- 30 ml. jojoba
- 30 ml sweet almond oil
- 5 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 5 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
Put a lid on the bottle and gently roll the bottle in the palm of your hand for about 30 seconds to mix the essential oils in with carrier oil.
To use: cleanse face then apply a drop of serum to forehead, each cheek, and chin. Gently massage in using small, soft upward strokes.
7. Baths: I use to add 5 to 12 drops of essential oils to a warm bath, mostly when I’m stressed, need relaxation or I’m just having a hard day. I think aromatherapy baths are an age-old method and also can provide you with some health benefits. Most importantly, it will help reduce stress and anxiety, great for stress reduction, relaxation, soothing sore muscles and joints, supporting respiratory health, mood enhancement, and treating your senses to the full aroma of the essential oil.
Other health benefits of adding essential oils to your bath include increased local circulation, detoxification, and improved skin health.
8. Nasal inhaler – Using a nasal inhaler can have similar effects as the steam inhalation. However, a nasal inhaler can be carried with you and used throughout the day to support respiratory health. Nasal inhalers are also used to support oneself emotionally through the direct connection between scent and emotional centers in the brain.
9. Lip balm – Blend essential oils into a base of beeswax, coconut oil, Shea butter, and jojoba wax to create a therapeutic lip balm.
Be choosy about where you buy your essential oils. The quality varies widely from company to company. Also, a few companies might falsely claim that their oils are pure when they aren’t.
It’s wise not to buy oils from vendors at street fairs, craft shows, or other limited-time events. A few vendors understand novices have no recourse against them later.
This isn’t to say that there are not extremely reputable sellers at these events; however, this is a precaution for novices who aren’t able to dependably guaranty quality.
Please consult a doctor or specialist for specific concerns about any skincare issues, cleaning products, or dietary needs. Please use your discretion, based on your research, when making homemade products.
Read it, blend it and enjoy it!
Keep it simple but significant!
- ***For more tips, recipes and useful information, please subscribe to my PURE BEAUTY NEWSLETTER below!
With love and respect,